Monday, March 20, 2006

Thought Process

I've been struggling a lot lately with thinking about what I need.. or think I need. So, today I went out to lunch with my dad. He took me out and gave me some cash to pay some bills, since I don't have a job yet.

We got to talking about his retirement. He retires next year. He wants to go into financial planning as a little side project. But he's struggling. He knows that Jesus wasn't about getting people rich. He also knows Jesus was about bettering peoples lives.. Not monitarily, but spiritually. So we got to talking about how he loves investing and helping people do it, but how can he justify making rich people more rich when people all around the world are starving and homeless.

The thing is, my dad and I often argue about things like money, not that he's into health and wealth, it's just that we don't often see eye to eye on things like homeless people and the causes. So, to hear him say he's struggling with the same things I am was awesome. We did talk about it for a while. We both decided that making millions is not inherently bad.

We looked at people like Bono. You know, he doesn't have the skills to go out and be a doctor to people with AIDS. He does have a gift for writing great music. If he can make money off his talent and give the money to causes like the AIDS epidemic or ONE. So my dad and I came to the fact that as long as greed is off the table, he could use money to fund projects he may not have the skills to participate in.

All in all it was really good to hear that my dad and I aren't as far off from each other as we both think..

2 comments:

fountainstylerootbeer said...

oh man i have the same struggles and jesus does say in luke that we are not what we own. and that our treasures should be in heaven (wherever that may be) but isnt it all about stewardship. good thoughts its hard to be rich (the blessings of God arent only on rich people) but it isnt sinful.

Aaron said...

Jeff, how have you been?
That's awesome to read about your conversation with your father... the fact that you guys can communicate even when you don't always see eye to eye onissues is huge in a world where parents and kids don't talk and respect each other. Sorry didn't mean to get all Dr. Phil on you... I just think it's cool.
By the way finally saw the staff video you made... it was at 1/2 speed but still was able to see it. My computer is getting old I think... anyway I thought it was GREAT!! The music was awesome and you seemed to capture it perfectly to where it would be a great thing to have to remember the summer of '05. Now if only I could figure out how to do that.
Anyway, call me so I can get your number back in my phone... lost my other one in the snow somewhere... oops!
Hope all is well with you and Stace and your music is very good. If you got new stuff recorded, please tell me how much to send you and I'll buy one.. I like it alot!

Chao.

Sorry this comment is more like a letter.