Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Thought #1

I'm going to try to make my thoughts accessible, so I'll seperate them into seperate posts. On to thought one.

As a Christian, I'm struggling. I'm struggling to understand how other Christians can support the current conflict (not technically a war) in Iraq. Yes, this is a tired subject. I'm tired of hearing about it. I'm tired of hearing people complain about it. This isn't about the politics though. This is about the Faith side.

As I understand it, Jesus is all about love. He preaches it often. In the book of Matthew (in the Bible) Jesus says the most important commandment is to Love the Lord with all your heart. The really interesting thing is the second most important command: Love your neighbor as yourself. See, love is so central to what Jesus is teaching. We are to Love the Lord. And the Greek word there for love (ἀγαπάω) is the same in both texts. So we are to love our neighbors with the same love as we have for God.

Check this out: The Greek word for neighbor (πλησίον) translates "any other man irrespective of nation or religion with whom we live or whom we chance to meet."

So, we are to love pretty much the entire world. I cannot fathom how we, as Christians, can then justify being in any situation where lives are destroyed, mamed, or ended. This seems to be outside the realm of Jesus teachings.

This is where I struggle. Jesus is so intent on letting us know about love. This is the key to following him, yet so many Christians have this idea that we are fighting this extremist Muslim regime in a way that God would approve of. Let me clarify that I have not heard anyone come out and say this. I have however been to churches that have very pro war sentiments.

This is where it gets messy. We are at war. As Christians, should we not be on the side of humanity? Life? So many Christians scream "Pro-Life," yet support a war which takes so many. Shouldn't we be trying to restore the world? Isn't life that precious? Is the life of a Muslim worth less than our own? What will it take to show love to people? Can I do this on my own?

Please, join me in this thought. I welcome your comments and additions to this, the first of many thoughts.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jeff. Fancy you actually blogging. I think I haven't checked you out in like 6 months. Good to hear your thoughts. I like what you said about Pro-life Xians who are pro-war. Makes ya think doesn't it? Anyhoo, good seeing your face on cyberspace. L8
j@red

Ryan Lee Sharp said...

Dude, pick up a copy of JESUS FOR PRESIDENT.

curtis said...

Jeff--

Probably the best Biblical defense of the current conflict is the concept of Just War Theory, which many would argue the conflict in Iraq falls under. This might be a theological position that you disagree with-- which is certainly understandable and reasonable, but I think its a theological position that is nonetheless sane and reasonable (in that it isn't promulgated by idiots). Again, I respect those who disagree with it, and welcome discussion and debate on it, but it is something that rational and deeply spiritual people can ascribe to in a non-contradictory way. (Incidentally, there are people who would subscribe to JWT who would argue that Iraq does not meet the criteria for a just war)

curtis said...

The point overall being-- while I am one who subscribes to JWT and believe that the current conflict falls within the criteria for just war, I can certainly understand both those who a)disagree with JWT altogether or b)disagree that the Iraq war is indeed a Just War. (Indeed, I've just finished debating a wonderfully intelligent friend who subscribes to the latter view).

The point is not to try to convince you that JWT is the only correct option, merely to attempt to make this viewpoint perhaps more understandable for someone of a differing persepctive.

Unknown said...

You should read the book Read Letter Christians by Tony Campolo - in it he looks at someof the major issues facing us right now - war, poverty, the environment and as a Christian what our response should be.

It is funny that Bush(a Methodist as well as Cheney) claims that God told him in a dream that he should invade Iraq. The Methodist response was to make a statement against the war...

Anonymous said...

Jeff,

This is where being a LIBERAL question differs from the CONSERVATIVE. The road less traveled is narrow. The liberals have a deeper grasp of the concept of humanity and the role government plays in it. In my opinion, the conservative is guilty of murder if just by association. By voting for the death penalty,and the WAR party the blood is on the hand of the Republican. On the other hand we as liberals get accused of voting for politicians that wish to preserve Roe vs Wade and abortion rights. In my mind- life doesnt start until the gasp of the first breath of oxygenated air. So I dont have a problem with that. The direction of the majority of modern christianity- especially my LDS faith- is right wing, conservative, crap. I have a hard time sitting next to murderers in church on Sunday, yet I still go. Argh!! Keep the liberal version of faith, it is based in education and change.